Chris and I were invited to a Halloween party tonight where I will be taking these yummy cake balls….that is, if they aren’t all ate by the time I get home. That sneaky husband of mine couldn’t keep his hands out of them last night while I was cooking.
- Boxed Cake Mix (I used Vanilla)
- Ingredients for cake mix
- Tub of Icing (I used buttercream)
- Food coloring (I used blue, green, and red)
- Candy Coating (I used CandyQuik)
- Chocolate Chips
Cook cake according to directions on box. Let cool completely. Crumble cake into a large mixing bowl. Line cookie sheet with wax paper and set aside. Mix in 3/4 tub of icing until well blended. Roll into 1-2 inch balls and set onto wax paper. Once all of your balls are rolled out place balls in freezer for 2-3 hours.
After 2-3 hours melt candy coating in microwave. Remove balls from freezer and dip each one into the candy coating, placing back on wax paper. Once all of the balls are coated, return to freezer for 30 minutes to an hour.
While the balls are in the freezer, divide remaining frosting into two bowls. Add blue food coloring to one bowl and green food coloring to the other bowl until desired “eye color” is achieved.
Remove balls from freezer and top each ball with green or blue icing. Top icing with a chocolate chip for the pupil. For the veins, squeeze several drops of red food coloring into a small bowl or spoon. Break a toothpick in half. Using the rough end, dip the toothpick in the red food coloring and draw lines onto the white area of the ball. These do not have to be perfect, I basically just drew squiggly lines and they turned out just fine. Place back in freezer for 5-10 minutes or until food coloring has dried.
- Make sure to cool cake completely before crumbling or it will result in a gooey cake ball.
- Be careful when touching the balls with veins or you will end up with red EVERYWHERE and your husband asking if you cut yourself because there is blood on the freezer door handle 🙂